- 1 Health benefits and side effects of pumpkin – Is Pumpkin a Fruit
- 2 Health benefits of Pumpkin Seeds Oil
- 3 Pumpkin Benefits for Skin
- 4 Pumpkin Benefits Weight Loss
- 5 How to make Pumpkin Soup?
- 6 Pumpkin Reduces the Risk of Cancer
- 7 Pumpkin Seeds Good for Immunity
- 8 Benefits of Pumpkin Seeds for Cholesterol
- 9 Pumpkin Seeds Good for Sleep
- 10 Pumpkin Seeds Benefits for Diabetics
- 11 Pumpkin Seeds Cure Anxiety
- 12 Pumpkin Seed Oil Good for Arthritis
- 13 Pumpkin for Bladder/Eating Pumpkin Seeds For Bladder
- 14 Pumpkin Seeds Benefit for Men
- 15 Pumpkin Seeds Good for Bones
- 16 Eating Pumpkin Seeds to Get Rid of Worms
- 17 Benefits of Pumpkin Juice
- 18 Pumpkin Side Effects
- 19 1- Pumpkin Harmful for Infants
- 20 2- Allergic in Nature
- 21 3- Harmful for Low Blood Pressure Patients
- 22 4- Pumpkin bad for Under Medication
- 23 5- Pumpkin bad for Bleeding Disorder
- 24 Some More Healthy Tips For You:
- 24.0.1 Bottle Gourd Recipe – How to Make Bottle Gourd Juice
- 24.0.2 Coriander Seeds Soaked in Water – Coriander Leaves Benefits
- 24.0.3 How to Cook Lady Finger – How to Make Okra Juice
- 24.0.4 How to Make Licorice Root Tea – Benefits of Licorice Root Tea
- 24.0.5 Benefits of Eating Raw Honey – Benefits of Honey and Milk
Health benefits and side effects of pumpkin – Is Pumpkin a Fruit
“Pepon”, have you heard of this? It’s a Greek terminology for large melon and this is the word from where the name pumpkin is derived. Pumpkin is a kind of squash which is believed to have originated in North America. It is most commonly a cultivator of Cucurbita pepo. You may ask- Is pumpkin a fruit? Yes, Pumpkin can be called a fruit since it has seeds and it is also used as a vegetable. We know that the bright yellow color of the pumpkin benefits is helpful for decorations and also for Halloweens however, it is also a very healthy food that can give many benefits. Here are a few pumpkin nutrition facts that will provide more information on pumpkin.
– Pumpkin contains beta-carotene
– Pumpkin is rich in Magnesium
– Pumpkin contains Riboflavin
– Pumpkin is a good source potassium
– Pumpkin serves as a source of Vitamin C and vitamin A
– Pumpkin has lot of fiber
In this article, we will discuss pumpkin benefits and side effects.
Health benefits of Pumpkin Seeds Oil
Pumpkin Benefits for Skin
Pumpkin contains carotenoids which can help neutralize free radicals in the body. In other words, it keeps the skin wrinkle-free. Being rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Zinc. It also prevents pimples and removes dark circles. This is one of the major health benefits of pumpkin puree. Mix 2 tablespoon of pumpkin puree with 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and apply it on your face. Leave it for 15 minutes and the rinse it well. To get rid of darkcircles take two pieces of cotton and apply the pumpkin puree on it. Place them under each eye and wait for 20 minutes. This will clean the dark circles and also remove the fluffiness below the eyes.
Pumpkin Benefits Weight Loss
Is pumpkin fattening? Absolutely not. It is well known that having fiber-rich food is beneficial for weight loss, and since 1 gram of pumpkin has 3 gram of fiber it is very good for weight loss. But 100 gram of pumpkin seeds gives 559 calories. Hence pumpkin seeds can be fattening but not a pumpkin. To have the best result for weight loss include pumpkin tomato soup in your diet. This will help you lose weight much faster.
How to make Pumpkin Soup?
1. Boil the chopped pumpkin and tomatoes in the pressure cooker along with chopped green chillies, 1 teaspoon of garlic paste, 1 teaspoon of salt and few pieces of pepper.
2. After 2-3 whistles blend the boiled pumpkin and tomato
3. Start boiling the blend and keep adding water to get the consistency.
4. Add oregano and chilli flakes
5. Serve it hot and enjoy the food.
Pumpkin Reduces the Risk of Cancer
Cancer is an uncontrollable growth in the number of cells. It usually begins with a tumour and can be fatal. Pumpkin being rich in beta-carotene it is good for preventing cancer. It is better to take fresh pumpkin than taking beta-carotene supplements. It helps to prevent. Pumpkin seeds help to prevent cancers like breast cancer, prostate cancer and skin cancer.
Pumpkin Seeds Good for Immunity
Pumpkin seeds being rich in vitamins and minerals like zinc, magnesium, potassium can help to boost immune system of an individual. Being a source of potassium it also provides energy.
Benefits of Pumpkin Seeds for Cholesterol
Cholesterol is an organic compound which acts as a structure of animal cell membrane. Pumpkin seeds benefits heart as it keeps cholesterol under control and does not allow it to rise. Cholesterol are of two types, bad and good. Bad Cholesterol can cause blockage of arteries and hence it can be very harmful for the heart as it cuts off the blood supply. However, good HDL cholesterol is good for heart and pumpkin helps in the production of it. In order to keep your heart healthy, it is necessary to cut down on bad cholesterol and pumpkin can be the best aid for it.
Pumpkin Seeds Good for Sleep
Pumpkin seeds are good for treating insomnia. Peal the seeds and consume a handful of it before going to bed every night, this will help to relax your mind and induce sleep. One of the benefits of pumpkin juice is that it helps to induce sleep and fight insomnia. Insomnia is inability to sleep. It is one of the most common symptoms of depression and anxiety. Pumpkin seeds contains tryptophan which helps the mind and body to relax and regulate hormones. Consuming the pumpkin soup at dinner too can help you get a sound sleep at night.
Pumpkin Seeds Benefits for Diabetics
Diabetes is caused due to an increased level of sugar in the blood stream. Health benefits of pumpkin seeds for diabetics is well known by many. Pumpkin has anti- oxidant properties and it produces a substance in the body that acts like an insulin and keeps the blood sugar level under control. Hence if you or your closed one is suffering from diabetes it is better to start making pumpkin a part of your diet. Boiled pumpkin is the best for this because it is the healthiest as there is no addition of oil in it and it is also tasty.
Pumpkin Seeds Cure Anxiety
Anxiety is a state of mind which is caused due to an inner turmoil and it is an irrational fear. Anxiety can make a person feel restless and tensed about some issue which can have physical reactions. Tryptophan in pumpkin seeds is an anti-anxiety and helps to reduce anxiety. It also helps to calm down the over excited nerves and hence prevents panic attacks.
Pumpkin Seed Oil Good for Arthritis
Pumpkin seed oil is made by using unhusked seed of pumpkin. It is dark green or red in colour but when it turns brown it takes a bitter taste. There are a lot of health benefits of pumpkin seed oil. For instance, this oil can be very helpful for treating arthritis. Arthritis is a pain in the joints of bones like knees, hips etc. caused due to inflammation. It is usually manifested after the age of 45 or above. However, in rare cases it can occur at an early age. Applying this oil to the bones or consuming it can help to keep arthritis under control.
Pumpkin for Bladder/Eating Pumpkin Seeds For Bladder
Eating pumpkin seeds is extremely good for bladder control. A study published in the journal of traditional and complementary medicine in 2014 suggested that pumpkin seeds and oil can treat urinary disorders and overactive bladder and helps in bladder control.
Pumpkin Seeds Benefit for Men
Pumpkin seeds and pumpkin seed oil can be Beneficial for men who have large prostate especially for men above the age of 50 as it reduces the size of the prostate and keeps it healthy. The zinc content in pumpkin seed oil boosts testosterone (a male hormone). It also helps in hair growth of men.
Pumpkin Seeds Good for Bones
Osteoporosis is a condition in which bones become fragile and makes it prone to fractures. Osteoporosis can cause deformities in the body. Osteoporosis,
especially in the spine, can cause serious problems. Pumpkin seeds containing saturated fatty acids, calcium, magnesium, vitamin A, zinc and many other minerals are very helpful for osteoporosis and it keeps the bones strong and healthy. It tastes like nuts and hence having a handful each day would help you get a stronger bones.
Eating Pumpkin Seeds to Get Rid of Worms
Pumpkin seed is a best natural remedy to get rid of worms like tapeworms and other parasites from the intestines and digestive tracts. The presence of these parasites can cause irritation in the stomach and anal region. In rare cases it can also be fatal when worms travel up the brain. Pumpkin seeds have certain chemicals that can paralyse the worms and eliminate them from your digestive tracts. Pumpkin seed oil too can have the same effect on the parasites, however, it is important to continue some laxative to remove the worm as the effect of the pumpkin seed oil is only temporary.
Benefits of Pumpkin Juice
– Induces sleep – Pumpkin juice having tryptophan induces sleep.
– Improves eyesight- Being rich in Vitamin A it helps to improve eyesight.
– Improves skin tone and prevents the growth of pimples- As seen earlier being rich in vitamin C, vitamin A and zinc it is very beneficial for skin
– Natural remedy for morning sickness of pregnant women – Consuming a glass of pumpkin juice in the morning can help pregnant woman get rid of the nausea.
– Treats anxiety and regulates mood- As discussed, it helps to regulate mood and relax the mind and body
– Boosts blood circulation- Pumpkin helps to improve the blood circulation in the body.
– Treatment of burns and inflammation- Pumpkin is a very cold type of vegetable and it gives calming effect in the bod. Applying tomato puree on burns and inflammation can give some relief to the burns.
Pumpkin Side Effects
1- Pumpkin Harmful for Infants
Pumpkin having a high quantity of fiber and fatty acids can cause stomach ache, cramps, vomiting and even diarrhea in infants. This is because infants have a minimal capacity of digestion and if taken too much they will find difficulty in digesting it.
2- Allergic in Nature
Some people who are prone to allergies might be allergic to pumpkin seeds. It can have symptoms such as a headache, coughing, itching and irritating skin, throat irritation, burns in the mouth, shortness of breath etc. If you are prone to allergies then it is better to first try a little bit of it and if there is no allergic reactions then you can continue.
3- Harmful for Low Blood Pressure Patients
It can reduce blood pressure level and hence can be very harmful to people who have low blood pressure.
4- Pumpkin bad for Under Medication
If you are under any medication especially for hypoglycemia (deficiency of sugar level in the blood stream) you should ensure that you consult your doctor before including pumpkin in your everyday diet. As already seen earlier that pumpkin works as an insulin and reduces blood sugar level, hence if consumed during hypoglycaemia it can be very harmful for the body.
5- Pumpkin bad for Bleeding Disorder
Blood disorder is a condition in which coagulation or clotting of blood when necessary is impaired causing a high flow of blood out of the body, through a small cut. Pumpkin benefits thins down blood and effects people suffering with blood disorder. Pumpkin should not be consumed before an operation because it can lead to more loss of blood during the surgery. Pumpkin has more of benefits than side effects, however, it is always good to know the side effects to be cautious and not end up causing any harm to your health. It is not only healthy but is also extremely delicious. Rarely you find food which is good for health and is good to taste at the same time, and now when you have it, don’t miss the chance. Include it in your diet (in moderate quantities) and enjoy a good food and a good health.
This Article has been Written by Payel Roy