Coughing is a reflex reaction, which helps the air passage to get rid of unwanted foreign particles( dust , microbes ).
There are two types of cough-
• Dry cough-There is no discharge of mucus. It is usually caused by inflammation of upper airway track.
• Wet cough- There is discharge of mucus. Mucus and Phlegm builds up in the lungs.
Best home remedies for cough-
1. Honey – contains anti oxidants and anti bacterial properties. It also has potassium, phosphorus and copper.Anti oxidants helps to eliminate free radicals from the body.It repairs and stimulates tissue growth.
You can add ginger, garlic or lemon to increase the healing effects of honey.
• Honey + Ginger
Ginger strengthens immunity and treats and respiratory problems. It soothes the blood vessels and aids in digestion. Mix garlic juice and honey. You can have this mixture twice a day to keep to keep your cough at bay.
• Honey +Garlic- It is best mixture to cure wet cough. Garlic breaks down the phlegm and provides relief from congestion. You can add honey to grated pieces of garlic. Have this mixture once a day.
• Honey +Lemon – Lemon has anti bacterial and antiviral properties. Lemon is rich in Vitamin C which helps to build immunity. The anti oxidants prevents cell damage and assists in cell repair.You can simply add honey to warm lemon water.
2. Giloy Juice- is an Ayurvedic herb. It is known as “ Root of Immortality”. It is the power house of anti oxidants . Giloy too has anti bacterial properties. It removes toxins and fights bacteria. You can buy a Giloy powder or make fresh juice at home.
3.Turmeric +Milk- Turmeric contains curcumin. Curcumin is an anti inflammatory agent and it also posses anti bacterial and anti viral properties. The inflammatory action of curcumin helps in relieving chest congestion. It increases the production of mucus and it helps to flush out toxins easily.
4. Peppermint- Contains menthol. Menthol is a decongesting agent. It breaks down the phlegm and helps easy removal of it. Menthol too cools down mouth and throat . It offers brief relief from cough. You can simply add peppermint to your tea. You can also try peppermint oil for instant relief from cold.
5.Thyme- Thyme is one of the strongest and natural antimicrobials. It too has anti septic and anti biotic properties. You can just simply brew thyme leaves and add honey for taste. Regular consumption will help to treat cough and other respiratory problems.
6.Black Pepper- It is anti bacterial in nature. It helps to alleviate cough congestion caused by pollution , and dust particles. It is a good source of Vitamin C. You can simply add black pepper to your tea or consume it with honey.
7. Salt and water gargle- Salt is anti bacterial . During the sore throat condition the fluids accumulate in the tissues. When we gargle with salt water due to osmosis the fluids are pulled away from the tissues providing instant relief from inflammation. It also increases the mucous mobility. It is the best and easiest way for instant and long term relief.
• When to consult doctor- You must consult a doctor if there is no relief despite repeated efforts. People suffering from respiratory problems should take special care.