- 1 Benefits and Side Effects of Barley
- 2 Benefits of Barley Water
- 3 Barley Water for Cholesterol
- 4 Barley Water Healthy Heart
- 5 Barley Benefits Weight Loss
- 6 Barley Water for Urinary Tract Infection
- 7 Barley Water for Digestion
- 8 Barley Water Benefits for Skin
- 9 Barley Water for Diabetes
- 10 Barley Water for Summer Heat
- 11 Barley Water Benefits for Pregnancy
- 12 Barley Water Boosts up Immunity
- 13 Barley Water Benefits Ayurveda
- 14 Barley Soup
- 15 Barley Masala Roti (Indian Bread)
- 16 Barley Water Side Effects
- 17 Fungal Contamination
- 18 Allergic Reactions
- 19 May Lead to Baker’s Asthma
- 20 Celiac Diseases
- 21 Hypoglycaemia
- 22 Some More Healthy Tips For You-
- 22.0.1 Flax Seeds Benefits and Side Effects – How to use Flax Seeds
- 22.0.2 Sesame Seeds Benefits and Side Effects – Sesame Seeds Oil
- 22.0.3 Oats Benefits and Side Effects – Oats Nutrition Facts
- 22.0.4 Yogurt Benefits and Side Effects – Health Benefits of Curd
- 22.0.5 Psoriasis Symptoms – What is the best treatment for Psoriasis?
- 22.0.6 Mayonnaise Benefits and Side Effects – Mayonnaise Calories
Benefits and Side Effects of Barley
The scientific name of Barley is Hordium Vulgare. It is usually grown in temperate climates. What is barley? Barley is a major cereal grain which comes from the barley grass and is used worldwide. It is ranked as the fourth largest growing grain after maize, rice and wheat. Pearl barley is a type of barley benefits which is more readily available in the market. Barley is believed to be first cultivated in Eurasia around 10,000 years ago. Since it is fermentable material it is also used for the production of beer and other beverages. It is also used for soups and breads. It is a widely adaptable grain. Here are a few barley nutrition facts
- Barley is rich in Vitamin B.
- It is a good source of iron, calcium magnesium, manganese, selenium, zinc, copper, protein, amino acids and other nutrients. This article will tell you all about barley benefits and side effects.
Benefits of Barley Water
Before we know the benefits let us know how to make barley water? Barley water preparation is Rinse barley under running tap water and soak it in water for 4 hours. Strain it and mix 1 cup of soaked barley with 3 to 4 cups of water. Boil it till the grains are cooked and softened. Allow it to cool and then just strain it or pour it in the cup leaving the barley in the pan. You can add little lemon juice and honey for taste. This water is barley water which is extremely beneficial for health.
Barley Water for Cholesterol
Barley water is high in insoluble fiber. This is one of the reason why barley benefits is considered very helpful in reducing the level of bad cholesterol in the blood. Accumulation of bad cholesterol in the blood can be very harmful for the heart. The dietary fiber in barley being high in beta glucan helps to prevent the absorption of bad cholesterol from the foods in the stomach and the intestines.
Barley Water Healthy Heart
In addition to lowering cholesterol it also helps to prevent the hardening of the arteries. This condition is known as atherosclerosis. Due to the thickening of the arteries it becomes difficult for the blood to flow to and from the heart. Barley water helps to prevent this condition and as a result reduces the risks of developing cardiovascular diseases such as heart attack or strokes. It also helps to lower high blood pressure which is further beneficial for the heart.
Read More- Ginger Benefits for Heart
Barley Benefits Weight Loss
Barley water is an excellent drink for those who are striving to lose weight. Its high fiber content especially beta glucans makes you feel satiated so that you don’t indulge eating unnecessary junk food. Drinking barley water makes you feel full and you do not crave for more snacks in between the meals. How much barley water to drink to lose weight? To lose weight one must drink atleast 3 cups of barley water in a day.
Barley Water for Urinary Tract Infection
Urinary tract infection is a kind of infection that occurs due to an infection in the urinary tract that causes symptoms like burning sensation in the urethra, unclear urine with strong smell and a number of discomforts in the body. Barley water is a best home remedy for UTI as it is a natural diuretic it helps increase urination to flush out the toxins and give relieve. This barley drink also cleanses the Kidneys and the urinary bladder.
Barley Water for Digestion
Digestion is a process that is extremely important in day to day life. An upset stomach can upset a whole day. To keep digestive system healthy, barley water can be helpful. Barley water is alkaline in nature and is packed with insoluble fiber which is excellent for treating digestive problems like gastritis and constipation. Moreover, its dietary fiber helps to reduce the risk of develpong colon cancer.
Barley Water Benefits for Skin
Barley benefits skin as it helps you to get clear and wrinkle free skin. Barley detoxes the body and hence helps you to get a glowing and fresh skin. Barley benefits contains a compound which is called as azelaic acid that is used to treat acne. It reduces inflammation and prevent clogged pores. Since barley benefits is rich in anti-oxidants it helps to fight free radicals which reduce the signs of aging and helps you maintain a younger looking skin. In addition to drinking barley water, you can also apply it on your face and leave it for 10 minutes. Rinse it well with cool water. Repeat this thrice in a week to get a glowing and healthy skin.
Barley Water for Diabetes
Diabetes refers to a condition in which the blood sugar level is way too higher than the normal. As mentioned earlier barley benefits is rich in beta glucans which is a type of soluble fiber. This type of soluble fiber helps to slow down the process of glucose absorption from the food to the body and eventually aids diabetes. It also helps to reduce obesity which is key risk factor for developing diabetes. Hence, diabetic patients must consume this health drink regularly.
Barley Water for Summer Heat
Summer is a time that comes with a multiple health problems such as rashes, dehydration etc. Barley water is an excellent drink that not only helps to quench thrust but also helps to keep the body hydrated. It also helps to reduce the heat in the body and keep the body cool which further prevents heat stroke and body rashes due to excessive heat in the body. If you are preparing yourself for this summer, you must add this drink to your diet.
Barley Water Benefits for Pregnancy
Pregnancy is a period which is extremely crucial for both the mother and the baby that is growing inside. It is important to consume nutritious food for the mother during this time and barley water in pregnancy gives the best source of the required nutrients. It helps n digestion and also prevents morning sickness. Barley water also plays a key role in preventing fungal infection during pregnancy which can harm the growing baby in the uterus. It also good for breast feeding mothers as it barley water works as a lactogenic food.
Barley Water Boosts up Immunity
Immunity system helps the body to recover from any disease and fight diseases on its own. It is hence important to have a good immunity system. Barley water being a rich source of various nutrients like Vitamin B, Zinc, Magnesium, iron, copper and calcium helps to promote immunity of individuals. It helps to activate immune system and helps to prevent infections and common cold.
Barley Water Benefits Ayurveda
Ayurveda is a field of medicine that uses herbs for treating various health problems. Barley being extremely nutritious in nature is widely used for ayurvedic medicine production. Barley is also used an ayurvedic medicine for increasing concentration power and enhancing memory of children. It is said that calcium, iron and the other minerals helps in a proper brain development of children and hence it is considered as a very important ayuredic ingredient.
After knowing the various barley benefits let us answer a few common questions that may strike you. Is it good to drink barley water daily? Yes Barley water is extremely beneficial for health and there is no harm in consuming an appropriate amount of it daily. However, make sure that you give gaps of a few days after a month or so. How much barley water to drink in a day? You can drink 2 cups of barley water in a day. Before your principle meal, consume barley water as it is considered to be the best time to drink barley water.
Apart from Barley water, there are other ways to consume Barley. Here are a few barley recipes:
– Prepare barley water and keep it aside.
– Take 1 tablespoon of oil and heat it in a pan.
– Once the oil is heated add little bit of ginger and garlic.
– Add onion and allow it to roast a bit.
– Add 1 tsp of pav bhaji masala and salt to taste
– Add chopped carrots in the pan and stir it well
– Add the barley water and allow it to boil
– Add some green chillies and capsicum
– Add celery leaves before putting off the gas.
– You can add freshly ground black pepper powder to add little more spice if you want.
– The barley soup is then ready for serving.
Barley Masala Roti (Indian Bread)
– Boil soaked barley in water with salt and oil
– Strain the water and keep the water in a different pan
– Pour cold water in the barley to cool it.
– Let it stay for 10 minutes. Then add rice flour, millets floor, chopped green chillies, cumin seeds, crushed pepper, chopped ginger, chopped onions, chopped coriander leaves and curry leaves to the boiled barley
– Add salt to taste and prepare the dough using the barley stock.
– Make the dough of a medium consistency. Add water if required.
– Apply 1 tsp of oil in a pan and allow place the dough in a round shape on the pan with the help of your hand.
– Make holes to allow it to cook faster.
– Allow it to heat. Put some drops of oil on it and put the lid for 5 minutes.
– Once done, flip the roti to cook the other side of it.
– Once fully cooked the barley masala roti is ready to be served.
These were a few delicious ways of consuming barley. Barley has a plenty of benefits, but just like every other beneficial food barley too has some side effects. Here are a few side effects of barley or barley water.
Barley Water Side Effects
This is a rare side effect of barley. Barley water may result in fungous contamination. From time to time. Bound contaminants found within the malt may be harmful for your bones and can make the bones weaker. However, it is to be kept in mind that these side effects only occur when there is an over-consumption of barley water.
Barley can be allergic in nature. If you have started making barley a part of your regular diet and you noticed that there are certain allergic reactions in your body, you can blame it all to barley. Hence, people prone to allergies must first get an allergy test done and only then start making barley water a part of their daily diet. It can lead to allergic reactions such as rashes, inflammation, hives, irritation, swelling of eyes, eyelids, nose, arms, legs and even hypertension reactions.
May Lead to Baker’s Asthma
This kind of asthma usually occurs in people who expose themselves a lot to baking ingredients like flours and barley benefits. People who consume too much of Barley or are over exposed to it might develop this issue. It is a respiratory problem that requires inhalation through nebulizers. To avoid this, do not consuming too much of barley.
This disease is a wheat allergic reaction which is caused due to over dosage of protein. Barley is packed with protein. Hence, an over consumption of it can lead to over-dose of protein leading to celiac disease. This disease usually attacks the small intestine and is sometimes more genetic. Hence, people who have a possibility of getting this disease due to genetic factors must avoid too much of barley.
Just as diabetes is the increase in the blood sugar level, hypoglycaemia is the reduction in the blood sugar level. Hypoglycaemia is also equally dangerous as it may lead to stroke or cerebral attack. It is always best to keep blood sugar level at the normal level. If you consume too much of barley, the blood sugar level may fall drastically making conditions even worst for you. Consume a moderate amount of it to keep the blood sugar level at normal.
In spite of a few side effects, a food that can work as a medicine shouldn’t be ignored.
Consume barley in a moderate quantity and enjoy its health benefits.
This article has been written by Payel Roy and Edited By Akanksha Agrawal